Saturday, January 11, 2014

things I like about ireland (and don't like)

Overheard the other day a a discussion between Sarah and Audrey on move to Ireland and what the good things are...

SO to be helpful I will throw some out there from my perspective. Granted these are the little things but isn't life in the end about the little things

Things I like

  • train/bike commute (much more relaxing than car commute)
  • irish scones (yum)
  • relaxed work environment (If work was an Oven then the oven temp is a little less warm)
  • Chicken curry
  • Gaelic sports (football and hurling)
  • walking to school
  • walking to grocery store
  • Pay as you go trash (much cheaper than monthly bill. Only pay when you put bin at the curb and recycling is free so you only pay for compost and trash)
  • roundabouts (they actually are more convenient than 4 way stops)
  • Irish accents (when the kids going to get themselves some...)
  • less junk mail (junk mail is not delivered by post office but by separate paid delivery folk. They don't come by often)

Things I don't like
  • no breakrooms at work (which means no free coffee, no fridge for home lunches,etc...)
  • overly complicated laundry (dryer requires emptying water and lint
  • Poor advertising of events (many of the fun activities are word of mouth, through the grapevine... Jack would not have been in GAA sports without word of mouth, would would have missed trad night at pub, would have missed Wren's boys, etc...)
I know I had another thing on the don't like list before I started but its gone now. On the upside the like list is longer for me, and not all the differences are things that I could readily have in US, atleast where we lived

Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment